Install Troubleshooting

The following are some known install issues that users may come across. Because Row64 is very low level, different hardware configurations may require extra install steps.

Our team is working hard to integrate these into upcoming versions so that you can have a seamless experience.

However, in the meantime, please see if your issue is resolved by any of the following.

Row64 won't start on my laptop with dual Nvidia/AMD GPU

Many laptops come with a Nvidia dedicated GPU and an AMD integrated GPU. There is a known issue where app/games that use the Vulkan API may not launch on some notebooks with this setup.

We recommend adding DISABLE_LAYER_AMD_SWITCHABLE_GRAPHICS_1 as a windows environment variable, and setting the value to 1.

See Nvidia’s solution here:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5182/~/unable-to-launch-vulkan-apps%2Fgame-on-notebooks-with-amd-radeon-igpus

I had this problem. I got Row64 installed, but when I clicked on the shortcut to open Row4 it wouldn’t do anything. I have an ASUS ROG with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 and an AMD Radeon backup GPU. Upgrading the AMD driver didn’t really help, but when I added the environment variable, it worked!

I had a problem with my Nvidia 3080 crashing my computer when I ran Row64 Ray tracing or just randomly crashing. Here is my Machine set up.

After much searching on the web here is what I found to fix the problem.

1. Install MSI Afterburner. https://www.msi.com/Landing/afterburner/graphics-cards

2. Set the Core Clock and Memory Clock to lowest setting.

3. Set power to 30%. Here is my settings.

4. Open Nvidia Control Panel and set it to Debug mode.
    Screenshot (49)

5. Go to 3D settings → Manage 3D Settings-> Global Settings → Power management mode and set it to Prefer Maximum Performance.

This is what I got to work for my machine.

Sam it sounds a tough install scenario.
If you are really pushing raytracing hard, occasionally people will slightly under clock a Nvidia 30 series card to have it run slightly less hot. But this sounds like an extreme scenario.

It could be you have one of the early 3080s that had capacitor issues when pushed the their limits:

Great find figuring out how to avoid the problem!